Senior MemberPosts: 4,354Gear list
Like?
Re: Apple Aperture - best X-Trans raw conversion
In reply to Brian Griffith, 9 months ago

Brian Griffith wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

MrFlash wrote:

fluxism wrote:

I'd been using aperture and liking it, but at default settings it REALLY plugs up the shadows... something I realized even more since starting to use photo ninja, which I like a lot

I wish I knew a work around for this. I shoot Jpeg + Raw. I use the Jpegs most of the time but occasionally I want to work with the RAW file. I shoot auto DR auto because it delivers the best Jpegs.

Aperture is great, but if the image is shot with DR 200 or 400 the shadow detail is completely blocked up and is not recoverable. When the image first opens in Aperture, it looks great, then after it 'loads' it changes to this ugly, super high contrast image that I can't work with.

I know that DR 200 and 400 underexpose the image to preserve highlights, but it's doing more than that becuase I can't begin to recover the shadows details in the RAW files that are present in the Jpegs.

-- hide signature --

MrFlash

Good to know that Aperture does not acknowledge Dr settings like Adobe and C1.

Anyone know if Iridient or PN recognize DR settings?

Iridient Developer does. The DR settings tonal response should be quite similar to the native camera processing of these modes, though this may differ some from the DR handling in other software like Adobe and C1.

Brian Griffith (author of Iridient Developer)

Iridient Digital

Great!!!  Use that mode often and would hate to see a RAW file opened with muddy shadow and dark midtones.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow