Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TheVoid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,151Gear list
Like?
Will a580 become a collectible/rarity?
11 months ago

As a hobbyist who can't recoup my investment on camera/lens hardware very quickly by selling photos, I often start scheming about how to sell what I have in order to pay for the upgrades I'm after. This has actually worked well for lenses - allowing me to get most of the glass I really wanted after some fairly minor incremental costs, by "trading up" on the used market and buying used instead of new.

I now find myself contemplating the same tactic with my a580, targeting a used a99. I think I could let go of the body and my Tokina 11-16/2.8 and Sigma 30:1.4 and have around $1100-1300 to go towards a full frame body-only. I have some Minolta glass and the Sony 70-300G to keep for full frame use, but would need a wide angle (used Minolta would be my target again).

So, business case aside, the thing that makes me hesitate is that fact that the a580 is the last (and best) Sony APS-C DSLR. There aren't thousands of them out there for sale on the used market - one might even call it a limited production because it was almost instantly eclipsed by the a55 and then several other APS-C DSLT models.  Is it foolish of me to let go of such a camera just to get a few hundred $$ off a new one?

I'm thinking yes, it's foolish. I should be patient and just save up for a second body. But maybe I'm attaching too much mystique to this final DSLR from Sony. I'd like to hear anyone else's thoughts about that.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
A57New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow