Budget High-Performance Pentax Lenses

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,753Gear list
Like?
Re: ... that's why Pentax sells them 50$ / 40€ ?...
In reply to geo444, 10 months ago

geo444 wrote:

JNR wrote:

geo444 wrote:

if you can buy this Kit-Lens for less than $50 like me, it's a bargain !

but it's Not - in any case - a Pentax High-Performance Lens

I tested it versus 30 years old Primes on a K5 :
= smc M 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.7 :
http://www.chassimages.com/forum/index.php/topic,182747.0.html

at F/8, the border/corner sharpness of the kit-zoom was never on par with old primes

... the Newer Version of the lens - especially at f/8...

what Newer Version than the 18-55 DA AL WR Kit Lens sold with the Pentax K-5 ?

... the lens is capable of performing far better...

http://jamesrobins.phanfare.com/6289748#imageID=200928066

especially when cropped ?

and that's why Pentax sells them 50$ / 40€ ?

if I re-do the Test using an EFs Kit Zoom 18-55 II vs Canon EF Full-Frame Primes...
... I will get the same difference in APSc Borders/Corners...
if not worse ?

comparing APSc Kit Zoom vs Full-Frame Primes in APSc Borders/Corners regions...
... is just terrible for most of the APSc Kit Zoom Lenses !
the FF Prime Lenses are sold 10x the price

The cryptic quotes make it very difficult to follow, so I will answer in context.

An original reference in this thread mistakenly applied to the original version of 18-55 lens; both WR lenses are the newer optical design - and so your test presumably applies to the newer design. Economies of scale and marketing decisions set the kit price of a lens - and does not apply directly to the quality of the optics. You can make your lens purchase decisions based entirely on price, but you won't find the best values that way.

No one is arguing that the old Canon primes are not better than the modern Pentax kit zooms in terms of sharpness (although resistance to flare and work against the light could come close to evening up the IQ in some shooting situations). Your test gave an impression that these lenses are poorer than they really are. As you can see by the image I referenced, the kit lens can by adequately sharp all the way to the corners if stopped down modestly (especially so from about 24mm onwards).

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow