Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Canon protecting their DSLR's from the M
10 months ago

I see a LOT of comments about Canon wanting to protect their DSLR business and that's why they crippled the M with poor AF.  I'm having a VERY hard time understanding that line of reasoning.

I'm curious to know why people think it would be a bad thing if a customer with (for instance) $1000 to spend on a camera system chooses a mirrorless system vs a DSLR system - if it stays within the Canon family?  In the end what matters MOST to Canon is the bottom line and that shareholders are happy.  If mirrorless cameras ARE in fact cheaper to produce (as many insist), perhaps the profit margin is even higher than with a DSLR and Canon should actually prefer customers buy mirrorless!  Obviously economies of scale play a role so perhaps it's not cheaper (yet) to make mirrorless cameras but if everything I've read is true, should mirrorless catch on, it will be!

So, for those who trumpet that horn, why do you say Canon needs to protect their DSLR business from themselves?  IMO, they need to offer a fantastic mirrorless product and be happy with customers who buy it instead of those same customers deflecting to another brand.

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +12 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow