Why Pentax Need a New Mount Now

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Greg Lovern
Senior MemberPosts: 1,564
Like?
Re: Why Pentax Need a New Mount Now
In reply to 6x9, 10 months ago

6x9 wrote:

Currently Pentax have two mount types - K(AF3) for APS-C (and potentially for FF), and Q for a small size sensor.

There is now a clear trend towards mirrorless cameras with big sensors (APS-C, MFT), as they offer DSLR quality in compact package. Current APS-C sensor bodies are comparible in size with 1/1.7"-1/2.3" ones.

Although it is fun to use the Q series, I do not think there is real future for Pentax Q format, unless it stays as a fashion thing (see how many color options are offered for Q-series).

Q would do better with some high quality pancakes. And a macro. Also a very fast prime, if it can be fast enough to put substantial DOF on that little sensor.

I suppose a superzoom would help too.

Now we come to the K mount. Pentax K-01 was the first mirrorles with this mount. Although it has a benefit of offereing full compatibility with K-mount lenses (which is great), this camera is clearly off the mainstream as it does not offer similar compact body as competitors. Now K-mount becomes a clear limitation for mirrorless design, and needs to be "upgraded" to fit mirrorless path.

Ideally, this new mount should be suitable for FF. It would probably need to be a bit larger, to make sure that it is suitable for in-body stabilization.

The faster Pentax takes this decision to move to a new mount, the better (but still preserving compatibility with older lenses via a special adaptor).

If they can make a fully compatible adapter, and sell it for less than, say, US$300, I think the user base will be generally happy and supportive overall.

Sony and Nikon have both been unable so far to put full compatibility in their mirrorless adapters. It would be interesting to hear why it's so hard to make them fully compatible.

Greg

-- hide signature --

Brand loyalty is a character flaw.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow