Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
soda jo
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Olympus OM-D on a safari + another camera
11 months ago

I'm going on a safari in a few weeks and I am torn between what lens to bring for my Olympus OM-D. I've been going through many threads on DPReview but I still can't decide. Mainly, I don't know if I need a lens that has more reach, or a faster lens. I can probably only afford one. Every day I flip back and forth on the Panasonic 100-300mm f/4.0-5.5. and the Panazonic 35-100mm f/2.8. Some days I think maybe I should bite the bullet and get both?

I would be so disappointed if I can't get close to get the animal portraits I hope to get. But I would also love to have images that are sharp with beautiful bokeh. For those of you who have taken wildlife photos with these two lenses, what are your comments on these situations? Would I be able to shoot a tiger under a tree in shade with the Pan 100-300mm? Would the Oly 35-100mm give me enough reach in anyone's safari experience? Do you feel it had shortcomings in that department despite being a near pro lens, like the reviews say? Ideally, I'd like to have a fast lens for animal movement and also dawn and dusk shots...

Also, I would like to bring a second camera for the closer-to-the-truck shots. I can't afford another OM-D body so I'm thinking of bringing my Lumix LX-3, at least for daytime shots and landscape shots.

I'm open to suggestions to help me decide with all this! This will be a once in a lifetime experience and I'm nervous that I'd come home regretting not taking the best gear I can afford. Thanks all.

soda jo's gear list:soda jo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
ANSWER:
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow