Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796Gear list
Like?
Question about Macro with XZ-1/2
Nov 14, 2013

Just to begin by saying that I am asking this question just out of curiosity.

The question I have is regarding the difference in the process of shooting with a macro-capable compact versus an interchangeable lens camera and macro lens.

My main camera is the E-M5 and I recently purchased an XZ-1.  I've always loved viewing macro images, but never tried macro myself.   Recently, I considered purchasing a macro lens for the E-M5 until I viewed some of the incredibly beautiful macros on this forum shot with the XZ-1 and XZ-2.

My question: why is the process so easy using an XZ-1/2 or other macro capable compact compared to using a macro lens on an interchangeable lens camera?

With the macro lens, the set up is more complicated.  Most people use a tripod, ring flash or other flash/light, etc.  Also, it appears to me that the process of trying to get a good macro image from the lens is a lot more time-consuming and challenging.

I understand that using more professional/expensive equipment, obviously the images will be above the quality that a P&S can produce.  But this is not what I'm talking about.

I'm just wondering why the process seems less complicated, and the results are more than satisfactory from the XZ-1/2 cameras.  I'd like to give macro a "shot" with my XZ-1  -  one reason I purchased it.

Thanks for any information, comments, whatever!

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow