A7 vs A7R for Canon User.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Richard Ettinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,059Gear list
Like?
Re: A7 vs A7R for Canon User.
In reply to facedodge, 10 months ago

facedodge wrote:

I'm a Canon user who is considering buying an A7 or A7R as it is the first time a dual system appealed to me.

Let me know if I have something wrong...

A7R advantages are more megapixels, no low pass filter, magnesium alloy front plate, first curtain flash sync, and 1/250 sec flash sync.

A7 advantages are $600 less expensive, hybrid AF, extra .5 fps.

I would be in the A7R camp no doubt except for the AF concern. Will phase detection work on Canon glass? Are there any reviews with Canon glass and the metabones adapter?

I've been using a NEX 7 with my canon glass since I got it. I've only really used it as a manual focus lens. I did rent a speed booster for a weekend and found the AF to be too slow for my purposes although I loved the image quality. Debated whether to buy a Speed Booster but the FF rumors were starting to heat up, so I waited. Glad I did.

I vacillated between the 7 and the 7r. I've pre ordered an A7 and think that's the right move for me. With the $$$ saved and selling off the Canon body and accessories, I'll be able to finance the zeiss 35.

That's the plan as of today.  Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Canon 40D. Canon 50mm f1.4, canon 135mm 2.8/soft focus, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 24-105L. Sony Nex-7.

Richard Ettinger's gear list:Richard Ettinger's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow