RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,786Gear list
Like?
Re: To watermark or not to watermark?
In reply to rodskogj, 10 months ago

rodskogj wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

rodskogj wrote:

I have never bought a photo from a website (I have plenty of my own to hang on the walls!), but whenever I browse photo sites that are heavily watermarked I find I quickly move on. Its too hard to see past the distracting text and I get no emotional attachment to the image because my eyes are drawn to the text, not the image. Just my 2 cents worth...

And your view is of a "taker" who wants to view everything without obstruction without compression. And is exactly making my point. Have you own photo gear to take your own pictures and doesn't have a regard for protecting images from those who might try and use it for some use - whether paid or non-paid it would still be unauthorized use of an image without permission/license. Many people on DPR are here only to talk gear and see photos from the hobbyist side of things and not from the artist/pro side of things.

I know what you are saying RedFox88, this is a real issue for people like Clueless Wanderer - I am not trying to belittle the issue at all. The only point I was trying to make is that buying a big print is expensive, and a sale is more likely to occur if the viewer gets emotionally attached to an image. That attachment happens easier when the watermark is not too prominent and does not compete with the viewers attention for the photo it is trying to protect.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.  If you want to see photos big without watermark, go to a gallery or art show/festival.

Its a very difficult balance to get right, and in my view over doing it is as damaging as under doing it. But again, as you point out, I am not the target audience for Clueless Wanderer's photos, so I may be wrong.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow