EM1 + 12-40: would 14-150 be redundant? How useful?

Started Nov 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vincentnyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,585Gear list
Like?
EM1 + 12-40: would 14-150 be redundant? How useful?
Nov 13, 2013

Dear All:

I have the EM1 and the 12-40 -- enjoying the speedy autofocus and relatively wide aperture/brightness of the lens.   The zoom range, is, of course, so so, but for a zoom, it's to be expected.  Greater zoom range would equal a much dimmer lens.

I'm tempted to return the 14-150.   it is not nearly as fast nor as sharp as my 12-40, and has barely even gotten out of the box!

Granted, the 14-150 is lighter, which suits the concept of the Micro43rds world rather well.  Still, the hunting, the slower autofocus and the dimmer lens, all in all, makes the experience so much more pleasing when one couples the 12-40 with the EM1.

I'm speculating that only for a very long day's walk, or being out all day when traveling, would one wish to sacrifice the constant f/2.8 for the longer ranger.  The weight is another matter...  

May I ask what the good folks here think of keeping the 14-150?  It seems to me that it's really rather redundant.

Btw, the only other lens I have in Micro43rds is the 60mm Macro, so my stable merely consists of the 12-40 and the 60mm Macro.

Thanks in advance!

vincentnyc's gear list:vincentnyc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow