ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,539Gear list
Like?
Cameralabs A7R Review
Nov 13, 2013

Review here: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_A7r/

It's a very good review and generally very positive. Image quality is outstanding. OUTSTANDING!

Snippet that pertains to what I was most interested in:

My biggest issue concerns autofocus. The A7r's contrast-based AF system is fairly leisurely under good light and quite lethargic in dim conditions. Shoot in very low light or with a small AF area under challenging conditions and it may not even lock-on at all. It's noticeably inferior to the speed and confidence of the contrast-based AF system on modern Micro Four Thirds cameras, albeit roughly similar to the Live View AF on full-frame DSLRs.

I hate LiveView on my Canon 6D

And this as well:

The cheaper A7 may improve on the A7r's autofocus, both in single and continuous modes, with its array of embedded phase-detect AF points, but in my tests the benefits were generally only experienced under decent light and of course confined to subjects falling within this frame; if they fell outside the PDAF area, the A7 performed similarly to the A7r.

To be fair, I canceled my pre order of the A7 prior to this review. But the only thing I was considering keeping the order for was to fully test the AF (e.g., initial locking on speed) in lower light. This was problematic with the RX1 and I was hoping to see even a little improvement.

But there is much to like about these cameras as the review notes. Perhaps I'll one day even buy one . . . as soon as a faster AF 35 emerges.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 OnePlus One +2 more
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow