I don't see Nikon's continuity in FX lineup ...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,405Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't see Nikon's continuity in FX lineup ...
In reply to NJani, 10 months ago

I always saw the D700 as a one-off camera. It was basically Nikon's entry FX body.. at the time they only had one sensor option (the 12mp) and really only one AF module that could be considered in a $3000 body.The D700 was the natural result of the technology at the time.

The market is much different now.. there are many more FF sensor options and the 39pt AF module is adequate for a lot of people. So, i dont see why Nikon is compelled to make a D700 successor. That said, i think a high spec body in the $4000-4500 makes a lot of sense.

NJani wrote:

Until some years ago around the Nikon cameras everything was clear, we all could imagine the Nikon vision of the future and we all thought we know where the Nikon is going. There were DX and FX lines and each line offered cameras for beginner through enthusiat for professionals.

And then Nikon added a new line, the mirrorless CX which is OK. Also started to upgrade the DX line cameras which is OK too and we were waiting -and still wait- for the upgrade of D300 but nothing is happening for years. And then Nikon started to mix the FX line, only the D4 is the camera I can position as the successor to D3. But what about the others ? The D800 is not an upgrade to D700, it is something like a successor to both D700 and D3x. The D600 is an entry level DSLR so it is positioned below D700. The DF simply seems a new line in FX line, I don't know what group of users is targeted.

The D300 and D700 were the most beloved cameras and they were selled well. I have both but I can't change them still there are no successors.

Why Nikon is makeing experiments with such dead-born ideas ?

-- hide signature --

Cheers János

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow