ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Flick
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,818Gear list
Like?
Canon Pixma Pro 100 fine art paper conundrum
5 months ago

Hi,

First of all, sorry if this post comes up twice - I'd forgotten my details and rejoined, but then managed to login under my old profile.

I recently got the Canon Pixma Pro 100 and am printing from Mac OSX Mavericks and Lightroom 5, letting Lightroom manage colour. I just started using Permajet Porfolio 200 fine art paper (which is a matte, cotton rag paper) and am using their downloadable profile for that paper and my printer. Soft proofing, with my calibrated monitor and with paper and ink simulation on, most prints are coming out exactly as on screen (or at least within a whisper). I'm printing quality and media/custom at slowest setting. I'm printing from the rear feeder (by which i mean the front feeder not the manual feeder).

But I'm confounded by the setting in the print driver dialogue. If I use the fine printing on plain paper 1 preset (my only preset options are a fine printing on plain paper, fine printing on plain paper 1, last settings or default) and select photo paper and Pro Platinum 100 (though with the correct paper profile selected in Lightroom), plus printing perceptual, the prints are absolutely gorgeous, rich colour and sharpness, detail, shadow gradation etc. BUT...it's technically the wrong paper setting in the drivers. If I select fine art paper 1, which I think is probably the "correct" setting, the slider in quality and media/custom will only go two thirds of the way across towards finest/slowest. I don't want to print faster as i want the best possible quality.

The prints are stunning using the combination I've set up, but am I straining the print heads or anything else by using this combination? And why won't the driver allow me to print finest/slowest on matte fine art paper.

If anyone can advise, I'd be grateful.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow