ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
eaa
eaa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,845Gear list
Like?
Noisy zooming w/ 12-40/2.8 PRO
10 months ago

Yesterday I was fiddling w/ my new E-M1 and the 12-40/2.8 PRO.
The combo works well, but for some reason something changed...
I've configured the Fn2 multi-function button for Magnify.
If you instead of pressing it shortly to bring up the magnification frame just holds the button, it intermittently brings up additional info for the camera settings within the EVF/LCD. Whilst keeping the Fn2 pressed, I also zoomed the lens a little, which then also brought the actual FL into view, placed in the upper right corner of the screens. From there you can see which FL the zoom is zoomed to. But thereafter the FL info does not go away when releasing the Fn2 button, but remains in the corner as a fixed screen info, along w/ the current AF and IS configurations (the rest is in the EVF-style 2 bottom bar).
Well, FL info is fine by me, but from that moment on, zooming the lens makes a distinct noise, which was not there before the FL info was visible. It sounds almost like fly-by-wire manual focusing, only more distinctive and "buzzing" somehow. Quite annoying, actually. The sound is not there when zooming w/ the camera shut down, nor w/ the lens detached. It seems like the FL info activates a gear somehow, to read out the actual FL values. And no matter what I do, I cannot toggle the FL info off again (even toggling the Info -button to have a clean screen does not remove the sound). Before I managed to get the FL info into view, the zooming was all quiet.
Anybody else seeing (well, hearing) this?
Any suggestions?

-- hide signature --
 eaa's gear list:eaa's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow