Like?
Re: Mirrorless vs DSLR
In reply to John Motts, 11 months ago

John Motts wrote:

PK24X36NOW wrote:

as1mov wrote:

http://photographylife.com/mirrorless-vs-dslr

What is your opinion?

My opinion is that the linked article is a steaming pile of manure.

His "disadvantage" list for DSLRs is a joke, basically consisting of size/weight/"bulk" "issues," which aren't "issues" at all.

You're obviously massively clever, but unfortunately incapable of seeing beyond your own self.

Size and weight may not be an issue for you, but it most certainly is an issue for some users. When you do this for a living, have a damaged right shoulder and carry 4kg of camera gear all day long, then size and weight is most certainly an issue. It's not an issue for everyone, but it is for some.

Look again, John - I said "many" users, not "all," or even "most." Sure there are people who have physical limitations in terms of the size/weight of equipment they can bear to carry. By the same token, there are probably others who have large hands and/or thick fingers that would have a great deal of trouble handling a very small camera body. There are also many who simply prefer a larger camera, limitations of any sort notwithstanding. Better we all have a choice of equipment we're happy with; the article in question presumes that DSLRs by their nature are "too big and heavy" - as in, for everyone - and lists this as a "disadvantage." It is that attitude that made me raise my comment regarding size/weight.

There are other issues such as noise, which isn't a problem for most, but a lack of noise is most certainly an advantage for some.

Ah, but again, noise isn't necessarily an issue related to DLSRs. Pentax is known for very quiet shutters, for example, in their DSLRs. Meanwhile, the new Sony A7/A7r from all accounts has a shutter sound just shy of the crack of a pistol firing, so I wouldn't necessarily associate "noise" as an attribute of a type of camera so much as an attribute of a particular camera.

And by the way, since when did all mirrorless cameras have EVFs?.

Didn't recall saying they did, but then the alternatives are what - rangefinders, which don't allow but an estimate of what you're pointing at (with no precision focal length adjustment), or a screen, point & shoot style, and useless in bright sunlight? I hope you're not about to trumpet those as "advantages" compared to the through-the-taking-lens view of a DSLR.

PK24X36NOW's gear list:PK24X36NOW's gear list
Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow