Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,633Gear list
Like?
EM1 vs E5 w/14-35 SHG focus speeds
10 months ago

Just got my EM1 in.  Set up a test with a chair 3 feet away and one 8 feet away then went to see how many times I can get focus lock switching between the 2 chairs in a minute. I did this for a few minutes on each camera and took the best times that I got to lower the human element a bit.

EM1 - 58

E5 - 76

I always had 3 or 4 rattlesnakes on each of my test minutes on the EM1 which lowered the time quite a bit.  By rattlesnake I mean where the lens for some unknown reason covered it's whole distance before deciding to focus.  It's like PDAF took a walk and CDAF was confused too.
I used the default center spot focusing on both cameras.

This was in normal room lighting

Conclusion - E5 focuses the 14-35 faster than the EM1 but it's certainly usable.  Note, those times include re-aiming manually between each shot. This was just a personal test to see which is faster.

I must say, in this indoor lit room, the EM1 viewfinder was much more pleasant to look through than the E5.  It's also much larger.

Focusing speed was definitely an impressive step up from the EM5 which I also have which was barely usable with the 14-35 to the point where I never bothered.

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow