Started 8 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dunkreid
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
E-M5 in Central Highlands, Scotland - Unusual Weather
8 months ago

This might sound odd, but for the first time in eighteen months of ownership, last weekend presented me with the first real opportunity to take the E-M5 for a proper spin outdoors.

I went to Bridge of Orchy, in the central highlands of Scotland (two and a half hours by train from Glasgow), armed with a light Velbon CX540 tripod, the 12-50mm and a couple of other lenses that didn't leave the bag, the two part grip, some whisky (not enough, as it turned out), and a determination not to do anything too strenuous.

The E-M5 performed impeccably, with a couple of notes: the two part grip is excellent, although I really doubt that I'd have enjoyed the shooting experience at all without it; the battery indicator was in the red after 200 shots of normal use, I assume because it was fairly cold; I didn't use IS for the most part as I was shooting mostly wide in decent light, or on a tripod, and when on a tripod the tilting screen is extremely useful, as most of you know; the versatility of the 12-50 was indispensable, but working on the images tonight showed to me that it's very much a lens from the Oly standard range; loads of lovely headroom in the RAW files.

Anyway, you all know this stuff. On to the photos. Comments and critique welcome, but I hope to show off the beauty of the Bridge of Orchy and its surrounding area more than anything else (bear in mind that the weather was unusually favourable last weekend - your experience, if you visit, will likely be somewhat more "drizzly" at this time of year (but no midges, at least))!

Some cropping and tonal adjustments in LR4.4, but nothing crazy.

Cheers

Duncan

My boss recommended I go up that pass. I declined.

On the road north to Inveroran, looking back to Bridge of Orchy.

Looking east from the road to Inveroran.

Loch Tulla. Reflections on a clear lake might seem like a photographic cliche, but not to those who live in a country where the weather is so rarely like this.

Loch Tulla. Reflections on a clear lake might seem like a photographic cliche, but not to those who live in a country where the weather is so rarely like this.

View south from Inveroran.

A real variety of texture and colour on the banks of Loch Tulla.

Exterior of the newly developed rooms at Bridge of Orchy Hotel.

Another cliche shot, but the first time I've had a tripod beside running water, so I thought I'd give it a go.

The clouds cleared enough for some rays to peek through to the south of Bridge of Orchy.

On the way to Bridge of Orchy station for the train home before the clouds close over again.

dunkreid's gear list:dunkreid's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +10 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow