Just bought my first Mac

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
mike in london
Senior MemberPosts: 1,327Gear list
Like?
Re: Just bought my first Mac
In reply to bravozulu, 9 months ago

I take it you are eager to start a religious war.:-O

Seriously, I tried both LR and Aperture. I sold one of them, and won't tell you which.

But I am with that group that favors to use the database power of both programs. Rather than depending on a filing system based on a hierarchy structure of folders. Hey, let the computer do the dirty work of finding things. These programs do a few things. They can edit. But they are also browsers, a powerful database that acts as your personal librarian. At my present modest rate, I am shooting about 20Gb of images annually. You have to review, sort and keep track of that stuff or it will swamp you. LR, Aperture and (I think) photoshop all include a browser feature.

A seasoned pro photographer had me over to his studio the week after I bought my Nikon DSLR. He gave me tips, especially about lighting, and briefly showed me his Mac computer and post production studio. He didn't have favorites among the editing software. But he precedes editing by using a program called PhotoMehchanic (by CameraBits) because it excels at naming and tagging hundreds of images at a crack. It was developed to handle the massive digital photo input at the Olympics.

Not really needed by the casual photographer. But it offers a clue to how pros deal with organization. Keywords, tags and other attached metadata are their secret. These are, in effect, little personal add-ons that you attach to a file. Bride, cake on face, island wedding, tornado. Little things you'll never forget that will always lead you through an overburdened library to a specific image you seek years later.

So whatever program you decide to use, don't rush through the ingestion process from your camera's SD card where you can attach these vital clues while your memory is fresh. Tim Grey, one of the pro photographers who lectures and writes about LightRoom, said in his video tutorial that keywords and tags save your bacon.

Tag NT
--
www.mikecurryphotography.com

mike in london's gear list:mike in london's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow