Do we still need a TC?

Started Nov 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
lpammann
Senior MemberPosts: 2,179Gear list
Like?
Re: Also...
In reply to John_A_G, Nov 12, 2013

Both Dan and John give important reasons why a high-quality TC would be very useful for birding. Here is a 100% crop of a very distant Kestrel I shot Sunday using my K3+1.7AFA+DA*300 hand-held. I relied on the AF of the K3 and this TC to attain focus because he was very small in the viewfinder. Without the 1.7 I doubt I could have gotten him in focus, especially since it is so strongly backlit. With the TC there are 335 pixels from the top of his head to the bottom of the mouse's feet and there are 385 pixels from the kestrel's beak to the tip of his tail. i don't know what that corresponds to in the viewfinder, but 335 pixels is about 8.4% of the K3's vertical sensor dimension and 385 is about 6.4% of its horizontal dimension. Without the TC these dimensions would have been 4.9% and 3.8% respectively. I know the image is not great art, but I'm glad I had this TC on my lens. I would have preferred to have had a high-quality 1.4x AF TC on instead so that I could have switched instantly to shooting some Snow Geese who were flying by closer than this Kestrel without first having to manually focus most of the way.

LPA

lpammann's gear list:lpammann's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow