Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-E2 image problems
In reply to stimpy, 11 months ago

stimpy wrote:

Randy Benter wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Did a little more research.

1. Purple artifacts is either poor RAW processor or problem with your specific camera. Try the included processor and see it that eliminates the problem.

2. Skin smoothing is a "feature" of Fuji cameras and probably one reason they are so loved by portrait and wedding photographers because of their "kindness."

Fuji's "Skin Smoothing Function."

The Skin Smoothing Function is NOT a feature of Fuji cameras. It is a feature of Fuji printers (part of their Digital Lab equipment). Skin smoothing in JPEGs is the result of aggressive NR. One can minimize the issue by setting NR to -2 or process raw for complete control.

Skin smoothing IS a feature in Fuji Cameras.

I was referring to the specific feature named "Skin Smoothing Function" that Daniel provided a link to. That is specific to Fuji printers and is not relevant to this discussion about cameras.

In fact there is a feature on the X-A1 called Portrait Enhancer that specifically smooths skin tones. "silky smooth" is the term Fuji use.

Yes, Fuji does have a feature called "Portrait Enhancer" that is available only on cameras with SP modes. It is not available on the X-E2 or X100s, so it can't be a cause for the smoothing in files from those cameras.

So far, it appears to me that we are just looking at heavy NR applied to hi-ISO JPEGs. I haven't seen any evidence of skin being smoothed more than other fine detail in an image. But I am interested in seeing more examples.

I also have not seen any evidence of Fuji cooking their raw files. I understand that it can be done and that DXO found evidence of this on a couple of particular cameras in the past. But, DXO was able to clearly identify when it happened and they have not seen this on recent cameras. Those cameras that were identified in the past were from Nikon and Sony; not Fuji. Just because it is possible to cook a raw file does not mean that we should assume it is being done. Especially when we have no evidence or even any indication that this is done in Fuji raw files.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-E2 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
??New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow