If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ottonis
Contributing MemberPosts: 609Gear list
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to turnstyle, 11 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

Hi all,

I'm thinking ahead to A7 or A7r with a fast 'normal' prime.

I generally prefer to manually focus. And the FE 55 does look like it's going to be a great lens.

But I'm wondering if I should still skip the FE 55, and abandon the option to use autofocus -- and instead go for a physically focused lens, rather than always have to use focus-by-wire.

Anybody wrestling with a similar decision?

I would DEFINITELY go with an affordable MF lens first! If you already plan on using manuaf focusing, then why bother with a 1000$ AF lens? Sure, the FE55 is certainly a gorgeous lens with excellent IQ and all but I am sure that a MF Zeiss 50mm is gonna do the same for less money and better haptics/smaller size.

I have a Voiglander Nokton Classic 40mm f/1.4 sitting in my cabinet that I can't wait to put on the A7 and I don't plan to acquire any FE AF lenses at all, at least not for the time being.

Cheers,

David

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow