If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,475Gear list
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to turnstyle, 10 months ago

djp58 wrote:

If I'm going to one of my daughters sporting events, I typically bring an AF capable lens; lighting is always horrible (junior high), so wish I had a faster stabilized lens, but AF definitely helps. Most of my other shooting is outdoor/nature/landscape, and I definitely prefer MF in this case. Just picked up an OM 21mm F3.5 and a Nikon 20mm f4 - looking forward to hitting the trail with one of these mounted on the A7R

I've actually wondered -- with practice on a manual lens, to what extent can you track a moving subject (assuming a reasonable DOF).

I don't do a lot of sports-type shooting -- and I can't help but feeling that with autofocus, I'd wind up with a lot of pictures focused on the background.

I don't know if this has been answered yet....
It will depend on the lensand how the peaking is behaving, if you get a clearly defined line of peaking on the play surface, it's actually very easy to align the peaking with the subjects feet as they run around.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow