Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,469Gear list
Like?
Re: DOF is too deep
In reply to marike6, Nov 12, 2013

marike6 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

When small formats can get to equivalent speeds of large formats I think people will begin to seriously reconsider. Small sensor tech is already beginning to creep. For example RX100-II is only 1 stop down in speed from the typical APS-C sensor, despite being 2 stops down in area. If you have a format that is physically 1 stop smaller than the next step up, but has cleanness parity through tech and faster glass, I do think a lot of folks would move over. For example if Nikon 1 system came out with a 1.8 zoom or 1.2 primes (for reasonable prices) I think a lot of folks would give them a look.

I disagree though that big formats will ever go away. People still shoot MF, people will always shoot FX if for no other reason than being invested in the glass. D700, 5DII, D4 etc are all still top of the line in image quality.

Comparing DR and high ISO is one thing, but the physics of a smaller 1" sensor of the Nikon 1 and RX100 means DOF is deep. And without subject isolation, shallow DOF, blurred backgrounds with beautiful creamy bokeh, there is just no way for 1" sensor cameras to compete. Which makes it unlikely that they will replace large sensor cameras for the majority of users.

"The majority of users" don't have FF or super fast (i.e. <F/1.8) glass, and many if not most great photos don't need shallow DOF to make the shot. So while having more DOF control is definitely a plus it doesn't make or break the shooting experience for "the majority of users". F/1.8 on a crop sensor in the general photography zoom range (~24-70mm FF equivalent) is only the beginning of real subject isolation, and for lenses in that class generally has pretty rough harsh bokeh anyway.

And while I agree that folks who love their FF cameras won't get rid of them, there are already plenty of folks who leave their D800s home and bring out their RX100s. Depending on what is being shot and where the shooter is going, obviously FF kills in IQ but the smaller cameras might generate a better overall shooting experience.

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow