Like?
Re: D610 vs. 5D Mark III
In reply to Dave Luttmann, 9 months ago

Dave Luttmann wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

ron purdy wrote:

Trust me Bill, I am not asking you to help me with post processing, bu thanks for the offer

I am simply acknowledging and confirming that (like everyone has said) the Nikon has the better chip and yields better files, hands down. *Especially in difficult lighting situations such as that sample I posted.*

Nobody disputes Sony sensor is much better when you need to push up a severely-underexposed photo where Nikon wins hands down over Canon.

you mean correctly exposed photos that maintain highlights and the entire tonal range. Nothing to do with severely underexposed images.

Here's a summary I posted for you that explains. It is support by the Zone System and exposing to the right. The Zone System was developed by Ansel Adams.....you may have heard of him. i'm not certain why you keep repeating false information.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52489644

I have now personally confirmed for myself what DxO and the rest of the testers have already documented.

Only dispute the method that you exposed on highlight that will result a severe underexposed photo, and then pushing many stops back. I am a strong believer of exposing on mid-tone (middle) or even a bit of overexposed (so-called ETTR, exposed to right). Jeff Schewe is one of strong advocators for ETTR method and he has many fantastic landscape photos if you check.

You do realize that ETTR and Jeff Schewe disagree with your "expose for the midtones" theory. I'm not sure why you are referring to people that disagree with you thinking they support you...they don't. ETTR conflicts entirely with your theory. Having met Jeff at one of Alain Briot's fine art workshops, I know full well his views on metering.

Sorry but when I saw your that poor sample, my thinking is that either you don't know how to take photos (that seem not the case when you demo those nice photos) or you don't know how to process under such contrast scenes that maybe the case.

-- hide signature --

ron purdy dot com

Except making lots of noises, you have nothing better and actually nothing to offer.

Interesting reply. You argued against ETTR and the Zone System and lost. There is nothing empty in my description. the Zone System and ETTR are backed by the better part of half a century of use by the most knowledgeable photographers who have ever lived. You aren't arguing with me....you are arguing with them.

I said just above (and quoted below) that I prefer exposed on midtone or even ETTR as judge by histogram (middle or toward right). From where you read I against ETTR? Stop claiming something I actually never said. Exposing on highlight will result a severe underexposed photo (as judge by histogram) that is not a good approach.

"I am a strong believer of exposing on midtone (middle) or even a bit of overexposed (so-called ETTR, exposed to right)."

I offer the Zone System and ETTR as my proof.

You didn't' invent Zone system or ETTR. Instead you should show your photos rather bubble words to support what you claimed but we have seen nothing from you with substance. Oh, please don't try pretend to be Jeff Schewe or Ansel Adams as you're not even remotely closed, lol.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow