How good is 24meg realy ?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,780Gear list
Like?
Bon Apetit
In reply to lorenzo de medici, 9 months ago

lorenzo de medici wrote:

I'll take a good 12MP sensor over a crappy 24MP sensor any day including Sunday.

Curious, what exact 'good' 12MP sensor are you comparing to what 'crappy' 24MP sensor?

Compare the images from a Nikon D4, D610, and D800. The D4 with the fewest MP (16) produces the best image. The D800 with the most MP (36) produces the worst image. The D610 is in the middle. It's also the cheapest one, which is why I use it.

Curious again, what comparison are you referring to, what link?  DxOMark, and photographers who shoot both the D600 and D800 will disagree with your assessment.  There's even doubt that the D4 will ever give you a better image than the D800 at anything less than ISO 6400, and then after that, the difference is very slight.

So, let's see those comparisons, it's always interesting to see this stuff!  

So the answer to your question is, yes. The main advantage to higher MP is the ability to crop images. But it comes at a price.

No, there are also other benefits to resolution, of course.  Downsampling brings some neat options, and the ability to print or display larger.   Cropping is a benefit that everyone can use as well.

Say you can go to a fine French restaurant, where they will give you just barely enough to eat, but everything will be exquisite. Or you can go to one of these places where they give you a huge plate of food, but you could have made it better at home. Which do you prefer?

I'd like to go to a fine French restaurant where they serve me the exquisite, fine quisine in large enough portions that I'm not hungry 20 minutes later.

36MP served up on that industry-leading Exmor sensor, in other words.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow