D610 vs. 5D Mark III

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,584Gear list
Like?
Re: D610 with no NR applied
In reply to ron purdy, 9 months ago

ron purdy wrote:

Here is a somewhat similar shadowy part of an image from the D610 - ZERO NR applied, so you will notice that is is a lot sharper than the retouched sample just posted.

From perspective of entire photo or just dark shadow area?

Out of the shadows comes real, useful detail, not just soft noisy stuff. I increased exposure a lot so you can see the areas which were effectively black in the original are now showing sharp detail and essentially no noise. Unlike the Canon, which needs NR, and thus lacks detail in the lightened areas.

I still see grains and chrome noises in your pushed area.  But I agree Sony sensor can push deep dark shadow much better. The only question is that do you really need to push deep shadow that much for a photo still look naturally?

D610 processed in ACR with NO N.R.

If you can't see the difference between this (unprocessed) in terms of sharpness and detail and the one you posted which has NR applied, then I can't help you.

You are trying to prove that 3 extra stops of D.R. do not make a difference, and you will have a hard time proving that

In your pushed partial area (without showing entire photo), sure shadow is lifted but also with the price of highlight blown in your sample above.  My point is that you still need to process as I did in my sample to recover highlight while pushing up shadows.  How much shadows you need to push if you exposed correctly?  Can you show entire your photo rather just that small area?

Goodnight all, I am off to watch Boardwalk Empire.

-ron

-- hide signature --

ron purdy dot com

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow