"I am selling my Nikon gear"

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
davids8560
Contributing MemberPosts: 563Gear list
Like?
Re: "I am selling my Nikon gear"
In reply to bigpigbig, 10 months ago

I have two DSLRs, one MILC, and about 55 other various cameras. Frankly I just got 'em because dpreview said they were good cameras, and because I found most of them used at a great discount on eBay.

Mostly my cameras all just sit around. Five of them, my "primary" cameras, are on the shelf near my desk. The rest are stored away in a closet. I don't know all that much about photography. I just like cameras. I suppose I'm sort of an accidental camera museum curator.

I've managed to round up a few really great cameras. The latest is a Pentax K-5. I also have a T3i, a NEX-7, a RX100, a XZ-1, and the tiny TL350. I also happen to think highly of my F770EXR, for its size, capability, and unwashed-out skies.

Some of the better older cameras I've used are the D70, the XTi, the Pro1, the C8080, and the V3. Sometimes. while scrolling through my pics in Lightroom, it often seems the D70 shots look the best. I used the D70 with a Nikkor F4 70-210, and the pictures that combo produced really stand out to me. I also think Nikon's color rendition is truer than any of the other cameras I've used. But at the time, I found the D70 with a big lens a rather cumbersome proposition, and it was not a camera I picked up freely very often. I think at the time I used my Canon S3 IS most of the time! And one day I let the D70 go...

So, at least until only very recently, the things that have drawn me to actually pick up and use any camera in particular have been zoom reach, convenient size, and the availability of PASM modes. So over the years I've used a lot of bridge cameras, mostly Canon and Panasonic superzooms exclusively. And, as you might expect, I am by nature very attracted to the new Stylus 1 and RX10.

But when I go to the galleries and see what you guys are producing with your big, heavy, advanced gear, almost everybody's pictures are quite frankly glaringly and stupendously superior to mine. I dunno. Maybe dpreview will open up a Lousy Uploads Gallery. That would be something. Then I might get some compliments. But what I have discovered, the thing that appears to be for sure, is that one stunning photo from a great camera like a high-end Nikon DSLR tops a bevy of small-sensor enthusiast compact and superzoom shots any old day. And I guess my stupidity is revealed in making this statement. But there you have it.

Lately I've been thinking about selling off most of my cameras, buying some better-quality lenses, and begin actually learning about photography with the cameras I decide to keep. I guess I'll just have to get used to carrying a selection of lenses and a really capable body if I want great images.

I think I'm going to dump the T3i kit, for starters, now that I have the K-5 on the shelf. I really like the K-5, even though it's a three-year-old model. And I want to get some better lenses for the NEX-7, even though it's about to be kicked off its golden pedestal by the new A7's.

So I guess I am saying to the OP, hold off on selling your Nikon kit. It may very well be that its output is about as good as it gets, despite the cumbersome size and weight.

But what do I know.

davids8560's gear list:davids8560's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus Stylus 1 Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Why?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow