Fuji X-E2 image problems

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,311Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-E2 image problems
In reply to bigpigbig, 8 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

Might be the definition but the reality I suspect is something else. For example the engine that reads the values does some signal to noise processing during the read operation. I suspect there is some other intelligent stuff going on to extrapolate or interpolate sensor values from surrounding sensors. One specific example, would be mapping out bad pixels.

I could be wrong, but remember, we are talking about an individual photosensitive site with either a red, green or blue filter over it converting photons that pass through into electrical energy. At that level there is no "noise". Noise happens at the stage when pixels are created (jpg or tiff files RAW files have no pixels) when there is not enough information at the photosensitive site and its surrounding sites to accurately create a color.

I am fairly certain about this. I am always willing to learn and have my mind changed.

You are correct, my point is manufacturer might map out say a faulty green photosite to be some value when the surrounding ones are some value respectively, knowing that that site is defective and would cause a false color. They might do the same manipulation with respect to noise when they know certain sites get "hotter" than they should causing false noise colors as well. These values are delivered to the RAW processors instead of the actual values measured at the individual photo sites. I'm pretty certain this is done. The question is to what extent and to what extent does this manipulation start "smoothing" noisy images, at the loss of detail, similar to what happens in demosaicing and in post.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
??New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow