Fuji X-E2 image problems

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,374Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X-E2 image problems
In reply to stimpy, 9 months ago

stimpy wrote:

Here is a JPEG saved from RAW (with no manipulation)It's pretty clear in this sample what's happening - bearing i mind this is the lowest setting, but I would say that it is much worse on faces as the parts that are not effected such as hair and eyes really emphasise the smoothing.

I've seen this "targeting" with other cameras with skin colors. Specifically, with Olympus, I found it when I switched to shooting manual white balance because the skin seemed to rosy and while there were subtle changes in other colors the skin still got the colors pumped up. The only way to avoid it was RAW processing.

Worse still is that this is even more prevalent on faces with 'imperfections' such as freckles or wrinkles.

The processing is most definitely targeting skin and treating that differently to the rest of the scene, as other areas and other subjects show a much more restrained level of NR.

Skin smoothing does happen at all ISOs which is actually very annoying, but it's most certainly problematic at ISO 6400 which seems to be a lot worse than other ISOs.

IMHO, it isn't really objectionable till ISO 6400 if you keep NR to -2 and than most people actually prefer how they look with the smoothing...but I agree it would be better if there was a setting where you could turn it off...say NR -3.

Of course one can circumvent the problem by shooting RAW instead, though you then have the problem of poor RAW support; but this seems crazy when Fuji are lauded for their straight-out-of-camera Jpeg rendering.

Edit: This frustrating thing is that this scene, under poor light and shot at 6400 ISO doesn't even need much NR, if any.

Does it not...or is there a little NR going on even with the RAW? There have been suggestions that many of the manufacturers have been applying a bit of NR to their RAW's processors as well.

I can definitely see why some people don't like this targeting, especially not being able to turn it off and that it targets skin, but having said that, people almost universally prefer the smoothed photo's of themselves, when I show it to them.

There are now several very good X-trans RAW processors.  I'm always surprised when it takes time to get support for a "new" camera when that camera uses the same sensor technology as an existing one, ie. the X-E2 support should be instantaneouos considering it is supposedly the same sensor as the X100s which has been out for 8 months and now has full support from everyone.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
??New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow