What is one place you would love to visit (or have visited) for a photography holiday?

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880Gear list
Like?
Re: A peaceful Middle East, including Syria
In reply to Mel Snyder, Nov 12, 2013

Mel Snyder wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

My trip of a lifetime, largely due to an interest in several eras of history, would include a slow, winding path through the Middle East, which, lamentably, is currently not the safest place for a tall, fair-skinned, blue-eyed person, with an East Texas accent, to be toting a camera.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Well, there are places that would be difficult - certainly not Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya or Syria. And for now, Egypt.

However, it all comes together in Israel, which is totally safe, including all of Jerusalem, Bethlehem etc. Also Jordan (don't miss Petra!). Morocco, and the gem of Istanbul/Turkey.

Then there's Saudi Arabia, and the entire Gulf Cooperation Council.

Get those off your bucket list, and by then, Egypt should reopen, and Lebanon should be over the crap to its north.

My partner and I - me a blue-eyed Jew - and two relatives, one a high active reserve officer in the Israel Defense Forces - went into Jordan and toured with a Palestinian Arab guide from Hebron. I would have gone to Amman with him, if we had more time.

Americans are so ignorant of Middle East politics that they tend to think it's all a risky mess. It's not. Go and enjoy!

Thanks! Yes, I would think Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Turkey, most of the Arab states, and Morocco to be safer than much or most of the USA. Iran, too, is probably safe enough, if one avoids anything that may resemble espionage or politics, as the Iranian people are quite wonderful. I would not fear moving about in Lebanon, with a good guide, to keep me from stumbling into the troubled areas.

If I want high adventure, I can visit parts of the Houston metro area, minutes from home, or drive for six hours, to New Orleans, here in the USA.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BaliNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow