D610 vs. 5D Mark III

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lee Taylor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,821
Like?
Re: D610 vs. 5D Mark III
In reply to ron purdy, Nov 12, 2013

ron purdy wrote:

I appreciate you posting the file. However, this is not a Photoshop contest. My OP is about what these chips are capable of producing on their own.

They're not capable of producing anything on their own. Without software you have an expensive piece of flattened beach sand.

Now, if you want to turn off certain software features in an attempt to measure specific differences at the level of flattened beach sand, that's fine as long as you make it clear. But it's not the way anyone actually works and produces prints. Even at ISO 100 the default RAW profiles call for some NR.

Sony has a patent on ADCs that gives them lower shadow noise and therefore more recoverable DR. (Out of your 5D3 vs. D610 IQ claims, this is the only one that holds up to scrutiny.) No denying that. Kudos to Sony and Nikon, and I wish Canon would find a way to work around the patent.

But...it's not nearly as dramatic as you make it out to be when you push shadows and not only fail to tailor NR to the situation, but turn it off completely. This is not practical or honest.

Is the right side better then what a D610 would put out? I don't know, probably not. But it's a whole heck of a lot better then what you posted and is actually usable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow