Sony A7R or Nikon Df for an exisitng EM1 owner?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digitalphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 494Gear list
Like?
Sony A7R or Nikon Df for an exisitng EM1 owner?
10 months ago

As a perfectly happy owner/user of EM1, I am looking for a replacement for my D800E beast that is too big and heavy to shoot with, for occasions where high ISO is needed or shallow DOFcontrol that is not possible or easily attainable with the M43 system.

The Sony A7R was a natural candidate, given its similar size, weight and technology (mirrorless) as my EM1. I was getting all ready to sell my D800E and dive into the Sony ecosystem, until Nikon announced the Df recently.

On paper, the Sony A7R has better specs but if I go for the Nikon Df after selling the D800E, I won't have to invest into any new Sony lenses, which are very expensive. Besides, Nikon Df has the "quiet shooting" and "weather sealing" that are high on my list. It's 16MP is also street-shooting friendlywith less stringent need for faster shutter speeds to get pixel-level sharpness.

So my question to all the M43 system owners is, if you were to go FF, which way would you go? The Sony 36MP high MP count or the lower Nikon 16MP super-high ISO way? I'm leaning more and more to the Nikon way now but just want to hear more before I place a pre-order for the Nikon.

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
Nikon D800E Nikon Df Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
A7New
DfNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow