Do we still need a TC?

Started Nov 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark Ransom
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,039
Like?
Re: Do we still need a TC?
In reply to Ontario Gone, Nov 12, 2013

Ontario Gone wrote:

Don't have a K3 yet, but I will offer my 2. one thing is inevitable, eventually we will see sensor resolutions that are too high for either diffraction limits, or lens resolutions, or both. Even the high end glass. When that happens, a TC will just be magnifying an already fuzzy image, and so will cropping, but at least the TC will give more pixels on the subject.

If you want more pixels, you can just upsize the cropped image. Once you've captured all the detail that comes from the lens it doesn't matter how many pixels it spreads out over.

That hard answer here is it depends. If technical aspects are spot on, meaning almost no motion blur, focus is sharp, low noise, cropping should be "sharper" as you are not adding any glass. The key word is IF. AFAIK, most people use TC for things like birding, or astrophotography, and these things are usually limited by the situations. Action shots are going to have some traces of blur, always, and the sky can get real turbulent. In these cases it's probably better to have a little extra glass than to magnify the pixel level flaws of motion blur and high iso.

I can see that spreading high ISO noise out over more pixels would be desirable. But since the TC forces you to bump up a stop in ISO to keep the same shutter speed, might it not cancel out?

If conditions are ideal, I would rather crop and use optimal settings in camera. Are there TC that are so pristine you can hardly tell they are on? I don't know and likely don't want to pay for one. I kinda agree with your idea here that more MP is allowing us to crop more and more for reach. It's one of the reasons I love filterless sensors so much, but I honestly think there is a tool for every job. TC when things are sloppy, cropping when you have complete control.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow