New travel blogger needs camera- more confused after visit to B&H

Started Oct 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
MarkInSF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877
Like?
Re: New travel blogger needs camera- more confused after visit to B&H
In reply to kikinyc, Nov 12, 2013

kikinyc wrote:

Thanks to all who helped me on this thread! I wanted to report back that I bought the sony nex 6 and just came back from my first trip. I've just been using the kit lens so I can't get the macro of the Fuji x 10 but it works so much better in the crappy store lighting that it's worth it. Composition is still a problem for me, the newer camera has not changed that! I'll be posting some photos in a new thread for feedback.

Thanks!

That's a nice camera and a good choice for what you're doing because the lens starts out wider than most, good for interiors and dramatic compositions, and because it has a big sensor that works well in low light.   True macro photography requires special lenses and a lot of technique.   It's not the sort of thing you can do well in a few seconds at a store counter.   One thing you should figure out is where in your lenses zoom range you can get the maximum magnification.   That's related to both the focal length and the minimum focus.   You can usually look that information up in detailed reviews or camera (lens, really) specs.   Sometimes it's counterintuitive.   Most people just figure they should zoom in as much as possible, but then find the camera can't focus unless they back up.   If they zoomed out, then moved in closer they might be able to focus close enough that the subject would occupy more of the frame.   It also typically gives a more interesting composition and better isolates the subject.   Try it both ways on some shots and see how different the effect is.

You can also experiment with aperture, as that can also make your shots look very different.   A larger aperture (smaller f number) gives shallower depth of field.   That can blur distracting backgrounds.   If you're shooting in dim interiors your camera is probably already choosing large apertures to let in the most possible light, but in bright places it may not be.

Speaking of light, one possible addition to your kit would be a real flash unit.  The built-in flash on most cameras is pretty weak and you can't easily point it where you want it.   If you buy a flash be sure to get one with a tilting, swiveling head.   Then you can bounce light off walls and celings.   Yes, I know most shop owners won't want you taking flash photos, but some small shipkeepers may not mind, and for the shots you take at home it could be a big help.   More indirect light would have helped quite a few of the pictures you posted.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow