Permit needed for personal photos on location?

Started Nov 11, 2013 | Questions thread
DeepBlue2
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Re: Permit needed for personal photos on location?
In reply to Bokehmon Trainer, Nov 12, 2013

I live in Tampa and work at the University of Tampa. Professional photographers are at Plant Hall (the landmark building with the minarets) almost every day with reflectors and flashes. I see brides, families, and babies on the steps and veranda at Plant Hall all the time. You should be fine in that area, and you can also go into Kennedy park on the UT side of the river and use downtown as a backdrop.

You can also take pictures pretty much all over Ybor City without problems. The only exception is the Centro Ybor area (around the movie theater). That is private property and the rent-a-cops will be on you quickly if you break out professional equipment in that area.

Lastly, don't forget the beaches. Lots of opportunities there.

The only place I've ever been harassed in Tampa was in the Centro Ybor area. It's not obvious that it is private property. It just seems like another public area.

If you get asked for a permit, I'd just explain that you are not a professional. If that doesn't work, I'd just move on and not argue. There are lots of nice places for pictures in the area.

-- hide signature --

Mike
Tampa, FL

DeepBlue2's gear list:DeepBlue2's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow