The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,233Gear list
Like?
Re: D610 vs. 5D Mark III
In reply to Daniel Lee Taylor, Nov 12, 2013

Daniel Lee Taylor wrote:

ron purdy wrote:

quinp2k, here is what I just suggested to Bill:

Do you have a 5D3? Find a high D.R. file which was exposed for the highlights and bring the shadows up without using N.R.

No one does this in real life, so why should he do it here? To prove some arbitrary point about a Sony patent on ADC converters?

This is why I roll my eyes when Nikon/Sony fans start talking about DR. You can push Canon shadows quite a bit with NR, and even more if you accept that the noise at 100% on screen won't be visible even at 16x20. You can recover acceptable detail and noise from nearly black areas in a Canon crop file if you're careful.

Yeah, Sony sensors are better on shadow noise. It just doesn't amount to as much as Sony sensor fans want you to believe.

Yes Daniel, we do certainly do that in real life.  How else would you expose while maintaining highlights?  This is the entire premise of ETTR and the Zone System.  Regardless of what system one uses, maintaining highlights is important.  Exposing for midtones like Qianp2k suggests is nonsense as it gives no consideration as to where the highlights and shadows fall.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow