Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
14-140mm on SLRGEAR - a bad example?
11 months ago

The 14-140mm 3.5-5.6 review / test is up on slrgear.com.  It contrasts significantly with the tests on DXOMark and ephotozine.  Comparing it to their results with the 12-50mm it's quite poorer, whereas both the other 2 sites tested it the other way around.  Based on comments on here as well, and looking at the various samples, I got the impression it wasn't far behind the 12-35mm in sharpness at its aperture range, and maintained respectable sharpness, especially in the center all the way to 140.

Also, evidently the lens SLRgear posted is prone to the dreaded shutter shock - but no one has reported this issue so far on the forum (that I could find).  Have people encountered shutter shock at around 1/40 / 1/50 speeds with the longer focal length?

This review got me nervous, since yesterday I finally committed and ordered the GX7 - and planned to sell my OMD.  I plotted a switch to Panasonic, and this lens was a key element of that strategy.  I already have multiple Panny lenses (7-14, 14, 25) and this lens was going to replace the 12-50 and 40-150.  I was really excited about this lens, and the prospect of a sharp all in one - paired with great primes (can't wait for the 15mm and 42.5mm).

Since the 14-140mm is back ordered, I won't get it until after I have to make the call on the call on the GX7 to keep it or return it.

What's bizarre, is I typically found slrgear reviews to be overly positive about lenses (especially the 12-50, where mine isn't anywhere near as sharp as their review).  So I hope they got a dud.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow