D610 vs. 5D Mark III

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,245Gear list
Like?
Re: D610 vs. 5D Mark III
In reply to Mikael Risedal, 10 months ago

Yes, this wasn't explicitly discussed when I posted this message, I realize now that this is the 10000000000th DR discussion and is fairly pointless.  I was silly and thought OP may have had issues with noise under typical exposure conditions.

I find the Sony sensor DR impressive, and that fill flash would have solved the problem in the example shown.  When we have 20 stops of DR though people will complain when there's a camera with 22.

In roughly 50,000 shots this has been a problem for me in about 3 of them.  Obviously it'll be a problem more often for some shooters, it depends upon how you shoot, really.  Bracketed exposure yields better results regardless of sensor, but is sometimes not possible.  Mostly though if you control the light of your photographs (which is traditionally what photography is all about) then you shouldn't have this as a show stopping problem.

Anyway, people don't really want to talk about solutions with this topic, just complain about equipment.

Mikael Risedal wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Yeah, I can't comment on the D600 or 610, but I certainly don't need to add noise reduction to the 5D3 at low ISO. How is OP inspecting these files??

well take a look than in a contrasty motive where all high lights are intact and then in the shadows, there you find banding and noise in comparison with Sonys sensor in the lower levels

-- hide signature --

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
Member of International anti-banding and read out noise Association

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow