Prepare yourselves for a new landscape

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,194
Like?
as nice as we can
In reply to meland, 8 months ago

Russell: ...But what you are really predicting is not that bigger cameras will disappear, because that's silly. Bigger cameras will always take nicer photos, whatever the era. No what you're really predicting is that in 10 or 15 years there will be no photographers. I.e. there will be no people that enjoy taking as nice as photos as they reasonably can of the world around them.

original poster meland: ...[no] what I am saying is that with a relatively small increase in small sensor quality (and not nearly as much as you say I am implying) the majority of fairly-interested photographers, or should I say non-obsessed by IQ photographers, may be completely satisfied. They may not care as much as you do, or perhaps even I do, about beautifully smooth and detailed/crisp images. But the images they do get will be good enough and will satisfy them. And I am certainly not saying there will be, or even implying there might be, any massive increase in lens aperture or performance to achieve this...And I don't think I ever mentioned low light performance in any case.

The really serious enthusiasts and a few professionals may not be satisfied, in fact they probably will not be. But that reduced number of people who really care about what you so eloquently describe may not be sufficient to support a camera market like we have today.

High end stuff, at a price, will still exist for the reduced numbers of people who really do care - but the price of entry is likely to be much much higher because of reduced demand. That is actually what I am saying. I hope I have been able to clarify things?

Ok, was wrong to conclude that you are predicting that in 10 years tiny-sensor smartphones will have the same image quality as a Nikon D800 today.

with a relatively small increase in small sensor quality...the majority of fairly-interested photographers, or should I say non-obsessed by IQ photographers, may be completely satisfied.

Well we are down to figuring out the psychology of "many photographers." You are betting that the vast majority of people buying fancy cameras today are doing it to get a certain level of image quality...that is not stratospheric. And the moment that smartphones/tiny sensor cams can meet that 2013 APS-C or whatever image quality standard at ordinary display sizes, today's fancy camera buyers will be happy to settle for the tiny-sensor cams.

The really serious enthusiasts and a few professionals may not be satisfied, in fact they probably will not be.

My bet is that there is a certain disease that is endemic among not just a few but rather millions of people in the world, one that can't be eradicated easily. And that affliction is the desire to try to make photographs do something that they probably never will...which is freeze a fleeting fragment of reality and recall it, ideally re-create it,

...in all its original freshness and vitality upon demand. With the hopeless desire for that perfect preservation in so many minds, am wagering that no matter how good tiny cameras ever get, there will still be tons of bigger, nicer but-still-hand-holdable cameras sold. For part of the same reason the little animals that live in my house chase every passing person and vehicle with undying enthusiasm, though knowing quite well that it is not in the nature of things that the passers-by will ever be caught.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow