Started Nov 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
4 Year Olympus "Fanboy" Goes Panasonic
Nov 11, 2013

When I got into µ4/3 in the fall of 2009, I was getting tired of carrying around my Canon full and crop frame cameras and lenses, even though I had been with Canon since the original D30, 5D, 20D, 40D, and two digital Rebels. You know the story… the heavy weight all day/every day, tired of expensive lenses that needed to be “calibrated” with camera bodies and that were soft wide open, but mostly tired of the low number of “keepers” with phase detection AF. I’ve sold much of that equipment, but kept some the best for birding or occasional use.

Discovering µ4/3 was a wonderful change in my personal relationship to photography for me…. it brought back the desire and the fun…. lots of keepers, primes that were pancake-small, relatively inexpensive, sharp wide open, and light cameras that I didn’t mind carrying for long periods! After researching for quite some time, the hardest decision was between the GF1 and the newly released E-P2. I wanted the GF1 something bad and especially the 14-45 kit lens (which I eventually bought used), but the jpg rendering, the IBIS, and the viewfinder design style of the E-P2 led me down the Olympus path ever since. I guess that makes me an Olympus “fanboy.”

My very first digital camera was an Olympus, before all the Canon DSLRs and portables, was the Olympus Camedia C-2000 Zoom, that my dad gave me for my birthday. Since then, I’ve owned/own the Olympus E-P2, E-PL1, E-PM1, EPL5, E-P3 and the E-M5. Now I only use the E-P3 and the E-M5.

My very first Panasonic µ4/3 will be the GX7 and I’m so excited that FINALLY there is a rangefinder style µ4/3 camera with a built in EVF, IBIS, and a built in flash. You’d think the success of the Fuji X100 even with a fixed lens, or the Sony NEX cameras would have made it happen sooner. Panasonic is starting to get its µ4/3 act together with the GX7 and the GM1. Olympus is going in the wrong direction IMO, trying to recoup losses with its investment in its older, large, heavy, four thirds lenses by making a camera that can use those lenses better with an adapter. Get a grip Olympus… 4/3 is DEAD. Micro 4/3 is about being small and light. Those lenses weren’t successful competing against Canon and Nikon and you won’t get many µ4/3 people buying into them with the E-M1, especially after that inflated body only price. The E-M1 really is a larger, slightly updated E-M5 with lame phase detection function. Their old 4/3 lenses are fantastic lenses, but they’re still HEAVY and BIG and still slow on the E-M1, and still not what µ4/3 is all about. And last Olympus, how long will it take you to make a µ4/3 camera with both built in flash and an EVF? It’s been 4+ years now! Panasonic's very first µ4/3 camera, the G1, had it.

The added IBIS, in camera CA correction, flip/improved resolution LCD, newest Pany sensor, better video, and especially the SILENT shutter, added to good reviews have sold me on the GX7. I have no interest in a larger camera like the E-M1, or a large lens like the 12-40mm 2.8, no matter which old lenses it supports or how great the image quality is. For me it’s not about image quality anymore….. it’s about small size/weight, fast, preferably pancake, primes, and fast CDAF. The new zoom on the Panasonic GM1, the 12-32mm is much more exciting to me than the 12-40mm 2.8. YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow