If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
tn1krr
Contributing MemberPosts: 541Gear list
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to turnstyle, 8 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

tn1krr wrote:

The Eye-Af looks promising too, if it works like I hope it gets that thin F/1.8 FF focal plane into correct place even in casual/passing shot.

Thanks! fwiw, I'm not very optimistic about eye-af with a passing shot.

In fact, my experience with autofocus is, in general, so hit-or miss -- that's part of the reason I'm so interested in a proper manual lens.

Does that mean you're also more interested in A7 over A7r?

No, I'n expecting my pre-ordered A7R early next week, I'm a resolution/detail-o-holic that crops like a madman. In my experience CDAF is ok and accurate (fast lens, wide open the mirror-PDAF accuracy is often lacking) for more or less static subject in decent light provided the lens is good and fast focusing. I'm not counting that much on Eye AF, but more than actual AF speed my grief with Nex AF has been it sometimes deciding to focus where I do not want it to. If the Eye AF is smart enuff to decide to focus on the eye I have time to wait for the lens elements to move. By passing shot I do not means someone moving but more like an uncomplicated way of getting a shot without having to magnify/adjust. For example I'm supposed to shoot in a birthday party next weekend and maybe if it works ok I could use Eye AF to get somewhat shallow DoF shots without that much "setup". In such setting I like to casually get shots off before people start posing.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow