If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
tn1krr
Contributing MemberPosts: 541Gear list
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to turnstyle, 8 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

tn1krr wrote:

I pondered on whether or not to get the FE55 despite having a very good manual 50, the Zf.2 Makro Planar 50/2. After considering for a sec I decided to get the FE55 because

- it is similar effective Fl as my 35/1.8 and I use that lens quite a lot with AF for casual indoor shots

- I want to be able to test/use the Eye AF

- Zeiss badged Sonys are quite ok for MF, much nicer MF feel than the normal SEL lenses so MF experience should be decent too

- the FE55 is much smaller/lighter than a Makro Planar + adapter

Just curious, do you also have a smaller/lighter manual 50mm than the Makro Planar? eg, to what extent is the weight of that lens pushing you toward the FE55?

In other words, if you had a rangefinder that performed similarly to the Makro Planar, do you think you'd still want the FE55?

Cannot be sure as obviously the size a factor, but I think I would be tempted even if I had a smaller RF 50. With Nex-7 I use back-button focus a lot, almost exclusively (gonna use the A7R same way, already tested this with A7R in an expo) and it sort of combines best of both worlds; use AF to get close and then magnify/peaking + MF to verify/adjust the focus if needed. This avoids the endless rolling of fly-by-wire focus ring as I'm always very close to begin with and Zeiss badged E mount lenses are ok to MF; I've had the 24/1.8 and 16-70/4 and they are nicer to MGF than say SEL35/SEL50. The Eye-Af looks promising too, if it works like I hope it gets that thin F/1.8 FF focal plane into correct place even in casual/passing shot.

Now that I wrote this to you I'm thnking yes, I'd get the FE 55 anyway, lot's of plusses for it actually.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow