EM1 better than Sony A7(as a System)?

Started Nov 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,410Gear list
Like?
Re: EM1 better than Sony A7(as a System)?
In reply to ianbrown, Nov 11, 2013

ianbrown wrote:

Like many I have a real dilemma about which one to buy?

I had an EM1 for a week and when I found out the A7 was about to be launched I sold the EM1, however after thinking long and hard about the two cameras I am starting to think that the lens options on the EM1 are swaying my decision, but can I resist the FF.

I mainly do Landscape and travel and I have been used to FF cameras in the past but really want to reduce the size where I can but without reducing IQ too much?

The upside of the A7 is purely IQ because DOF is not a priority for me but ISO does also give me about 2 stops advantage?

The lens options (for me) are limited, as I would only have the 28-70 which is not really wide enough and 3.5 - 5.6 is pretty slow. I know there is a 24-70 f4 available in about 3 months but even so it's not that fast and starting to get heavier! The Telephoto is also another issue, only a 70-200 which will be quit heavy and not available until May 2014.

I know you can use other lenses but that involves adaptor sand loss of AF etc

The EM1 does have some advantages, mainly lens selection. But just how much IQ does it sacrifice?

I already have a Panasonic 35-100 f 2.8 which is a pretty good lens

Anyone else have this dilemma ?

Ian, I (briefly) considered the Sonys, but the lenses are not there for it AND they are going to be much larger than the M43 lenses (and expensive), so I decided that M43 is where I will stay.  I even figured out what I am going to do to pare down what I have, to just above the minimum.

I am going to have the EM1 as my sole body, the 12-40mm, the 25mm f1.4, the cheap Oly 40-150mm, and the Panasonic 100-300mm as my all purpose kit.  I will probably also keep the 14mm, as I like it and it makes no sense to sell it, since it was one of the inexpensive dekitted ones from Ebay.  I may or may not keep the 12mm f2.0; if the 12-40mm performs as well as it does, I could see selling it.

What I will definitely sell:  The EPM2, the VF4, the 14-42mm kit lens, the 45mm f1.8, the 14-140mm zoom.

What I probably will acquire:  The Zuiko 50mm f2.0 macro (it will replace the 45mm f1.8 AND my old Nikon 55mm macro lens).

The basic kit that I am left with will fit into one small bag with one external lens bag (for the 100-300mm), and it is small and light enough to go anywhere and give me complete coverage.  If I want to take ALL the lenses with me, then a very small accessory bag extra will take care of that.

Can't beat that for size and performance....

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow