If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,422Gear list
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to turnstyle, 10 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

But I kind of wonder -- isn't E/FE mount kind of disadvantageous in that case? That you can *only* mount it to an E/FE body -- as opposed to a lens that requires an adapter, and so can be used on several competing systems.

I know where you're coming from - I also fear commitment.

As much as I love working and playing with adapted lenses (and having the ability to easily ditch Sony 2 years from now and jump ship to some other maker), there is something to be said for the simplicity of working with just one system. IME adapters can add a certain "farting around" aspect that can be unwelcome (like when the sun is setting and you have to swap out a lens AND an adapter). As an enthusiast I can abide a certain degree of this but I can certainly understand full-timers wanting to maximize the work flow with just one fully integrated system.

EXIF is also nice to have.

Also, if you're going to spend the big bucks and get really particular about performance, there is this to consider:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

In a nutshell, even expensive adapters degrade performance too much for the purposes of MTF testing.

In the real world IME some lenses work just fine, even on a $20 adapter. But for the ones that don't, one has to wonder: how much of a role is the adapter playing? (This would now be the prime suspect for the fuzzy right edge I got with my Tokina RMC 17mm & FOTGA adapter.)

As always, there are no easy, absolute answers. But it might not a coincidence that I now use e-mount exclusively for wide angle.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow