If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
120 to 35
Contributing MemberPosts: 919
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to Brian_Smith, 10 months ago

Brian_Smith wrote:

LoneReaction wrote:

Manually focusing on the E lenses on the NEX is a real pain, they keep spinning forever. It should probably be the same with EF lenses.
Ever considered using DMF? You can auto focus and then fine tune if needed.

+1 on DMF. It's the perfect solution when you want to fine tune focus and make certain that the focus spot you picked is where you think it is. Just hit AF like normal and then give the lens a slight turn and the EVF or LCD will zoom into the focus spot you've selected.

Having shot with the FE 55 for a week, I can tell you that it's a spectacular lens and perfectly matched to the A7/A7R.

Currently, the main advantage of a manual focus lens on an E-mount Sony is the ability to focus to a known distance. The need arises when focusing in dark settings, zone focusing back and forth between two zones, and infinity focus among others.

Showing the current focus distance of the lens alongside the shutter, aperture and other settings would help in those situations where we currently have to resort to manual lenses. It should also help sales of E-mount prime lenses in preference to legacy lenses with adapters.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow