If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,373Gear list
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to turnstyle, 5 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

Hi all,

I'm thinking ahead to A7 or A7r with a fast 'normal' prime.

I generally prefer to manually focus. And the FE 55 does look like it's going to be a great lens.

But I'm wondering if I should still skip the FE 55, and abandon the option to use autofocus -- and instead go for a physically focused lens, rather than always have to use focus-by-wire.

Anybody wrestling with a similar decision?

Just a couple of things to consider:

The FE55 is very, very good, but there are many very good FF 50/1.8 lenses out there.

AF is very nice, but you may use the kit lens when you need AF.

Alternative choices are:

• SLR lenses: you can get 50/1.8, 50/1.7, 50/1.4, 50/1.2, depending on your likes
  • RF lenses: 50mm is NOT a magenta shifting focal length (but do check). These are wonderful lenses, but they can get as pricey as the FE55. 
  • Contax-G 45/2 on AF adapter. It auto-focuses, albeit slower, and the manual focus adjust override on the adapter is likely the easiest way to focus any of the lenses. 

Why rush now? I would wait until the early spring and then review users comments. The FE55 impresses, especially on the A7r, but I expect many 50mm lenses to perform on these A7/r cameras just the same.

I also expect more lenses to be offered for the FE mount. Zeiss will announce a FE specific MF line (like the ZM mount), and I expect that more FE primes will follow.

Just ipick up any 'ol 50/1.8 lens on an adapter for little money to bridge the time to make a decision...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow