If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
djp58
Regular MemberPosts: 318Gear list
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to turnstyle, 5 months ago

turnstyle wrote:

djp58 wrote:

sticking with one "smart" adapter might make sense - I didn't have that option when I started, and now have too many older legacy lenses that I like. I did consider picking up the Metabones for Canon along with one of there stabilized longer zooms (70-200), but am glad I waited since I think I will prefer the native 70-200G.

Thanks again!

If one were to orient the decision toward picking a smart adapter -- and without already owning corresponding lenses -- is there a "best" adapter/system to focus on?

(I didn't even realize there were smart adapters for systems other than Canon!)

I assume it's mostly for the benefit of EXIF? Is there such a thing as a manual focus lens with stabilization?

I think the only 2 systems supported by aftermarket "smart" adapters are the Canon EOS and the Contax G systems.  DEO TechArt makes adapters for both Canon and Contax.  Metabones makes theirs for Canon only.  There may be others, but I'm not aware of them.  Some of the Mirrorless manufacturers also make a smart adapter to adapt their regular lenses to their  Mirrorless offerings (Sony makes 4, the LA-EA1-4; I have the LA-EA4 on order so I will be able to use my Sony (or Minolta) lenses with full PDAF AF like an SLT).

I don' know of any older stabilized MF-only lenses, though the AF ones out there still work well if you want to MF.  You need to have a smart adapter to get the EXIF data, and most of these lenses will also AF if you want.  Only exception is Leica m-mount which are chipped to provide EXIF date, don't know if there are smart adapters to use these on other systems.

David

djp58's gear list:djp58's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow