D610 vs. 5D Mark III

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ron purdy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,493Gear list
Like?
Re: D610 vs. 5D Mark III
In reply to qianp2k, 10 months ago

Overall I love the Canon cameras for their functionality and durability. I have published thousands of images with Canon and for the most part, it's been very good.

This is a crop from a recent shot for a book I am working on. ISO 100. It was shot in RAW and converted in ACR. This is obviously a high dynamic range situation I exposed for the islands but had to lighten up shadows to see the boy. The only editing that's been done here was to move the shadow slider and to increase the exposure overall by .3 stops - and as you can see, things got ugly fast.

This is an example of what makes me nervous when shooting cameras with shadow noise issues, and what brought on the Nikon purchase. The Sony sensors are leagues more graceful on shots like this one, where there's no time to get a reflector or add lighting to even out the dynamic range.

In my book, this issue is MUCH more important than, "well gee, I bought the most expensive/sharpest lens I could find. DxO said the 24-70..." Sharpness of lenses/resolution of chip are minor footnotes compared to this, IMO:

-- hide signature --

ron purdy dot com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow