If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?

Started Nov 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: If I prefer to manually focus, should I still get the FE 55?
In reply to turnstyle, Nov 11, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Yep. I LOVE manual focus. It is what prompted me to get NEX. But, it is best enjoyed with lenses that aren't built around the focus by wire system and as a result my E mount AF lenses are mostly unused. The only lens I really care about using on NEX with AF is the good old Minolta 200/2.8 G APO HS via LAEA2 and primarily because that lens is designed for fast AF with its high speed gearing and a pain to MF.

Thanks! Have you been interested in the rumored FE manual Zeiss lenses?

Of course we have nothing specific to talk about -- but it strikes me that a if I get a lens that requires an adapter, I should be able to use that same lens on other mirrorless cameras.

So a drawback (imho) to an FE manual lens is that it won't likely work on any other camera systems.

Indeed. I am most curious to see 85mm lens and in fact believe that Sony's initial launch should have included 24mm and 85mm along with 35 and 55 and only one zoom 28-70. Then add 24-70 and 70-200.

If anything, I would also love to see Sony go for couple of no nonsense (no AF, no OSS) manual focus lenses like 35/1.2 and 55/1.2, and may be an STF type lens at 85mm as well.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow