"I am selling my Nikon gear"

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,860
Like?
Re: I am not selling my Nikon Gear ... yet.
In reply to Caerolle, Nov 11, 2013

Caerolle wrote:

I am sorry, but the mother ship isn't coming to pick up the cults, and Nikon is not going to make a D400. All you are going to get is more iterations of the D7000. I think they very much want the D300 faithful to move to D800s.

I am not familiar with Nikon zooms, but if you have crops lenses now, and need to replace them with full-frame lenses, can you move down one stop in speed? For example, if 2.8s do it for you in crop, can you get the equivalent focal lengths in 4.0 for full-frame? I think the results should be very similar between them?

Yeah, I have been waiting for another Hale Bop comet to come and drop off the D400 but hope is fading...

You raise a good point that I have been kicking around for a bit. There isn't much downside moving from the 12-24 since it is f4 and the 18-35 f3.5-4.5G looks to be nicely reviewed, albeit for $750. Perhaps the more interesting evaluation/comparison comes with the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 G VR which is also nicely reviewed at $600. That would bring the lens tax down to $1350. Both lenses seem to be able to outperform the 16mpx resolution of the D4/Df sensor and I would guess that they are close to the performance of the equivalent Fujifilm zooms. At $2750 for a Df and $1350 for lenses I would be in over what the Fujifilm system would cost by a good $1000 - assuming a price drop on the Df after the 1st of the year.

So I guess my question is, is it worth $1K for me to use the rest of my lens arsenal with outstanding low light image performance - the D4 sensor does produce some beautiful results.

Since I am waiting until after the holidays, I may give it some more thought.

Damn, Yellow and Black runs deep in my veins... sigh.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Why?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow